Many professionals will agree that sex, and the act of being attracted to someone, and loved, is a basic human need. Even though this creates feelings of belonging, and acceptance, for many individuals there are times when there may be some complications present in this area of a person’s life. Complications may not even be the best word. It may be more like situations, feelings, or behaviors that are not necessarily “normal” compared to the standards set by ones society. These abnormalities may be defined as sexual disorders.
Sexual disorders are often broken down into three different categories. This article will touch upon what those categories are, as well as some of the different disorders that may be seen within them. Hopefully, the article will give enough information for the average person, non professionals, to have a good understanding of sexual disorders.
These are the disorders that are known to reduce a person ability to enjoy sexual activity. They may also cause complications when it comes to becoming sexually aroused. In order for the individual to be diagnosed with a dysfunction, they need to have complications for an extended period of time. The complications can not be short term, and relate to drug use, fatigue, etc.
1. Hypoactive desire – not having a desire to become sexually engaged
2. Aversion to sex – the thought of sex makes the person physically ill.
3. Erectile dysfunction – the inability to obtain, or keep, and erection.
4. Ejaculation incompetence – the male can not reach an orgasm.
This is when an individual needs unusual objects, or even situations, in order to become sexually excited.
1. Fetish – this is when the person is turned on my nonliving things.
2. Transvestite – this is used to describe someone enjoys cross dressing.
3. Sadism – individuals in this category enjoy the pain of others in order to become sexually aroused.
Gender Identity Disorders
Gender Identify Disorders are seen when someone has a very difficult time identifying which sex they prefer. This person may also have some conflicts in relation to what sexual identity they really are. This conflict can cause a lot of complication for someone that is concerned about how others will perceive them.